Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Prompt 6 - Communication*

Theorist Connection : Delpit

In my classroom the teacher has demonstrated sensitivity in a few ways. Although he is strict and yells at them, he knows they all come from different backgrounds and families. When a student raises their hand in his class he just yells "WHAT?" but I don't think he is doing it to be mean, he's doing it so they have structure in the classroom. He is nice to the kids when they are needing help and he defintely tries to fit everyones needs of the languages they speak at home. He sometimes gets mad when the kids talk in spanish to eachother because some of them are still learning english too, so he needs them to speak English more.
I am sensitive to my kids I work with because they do tell me stories about their homes when we finish what we are working on. Some child was telling me he just moved here from Ethiopia a few months ago because his parents got into a fight so one of them moved to the United States. I felt bad for the child and told him that everything would be alright and he should just focus on what their doing in school because he thought it was fun.
I related this prompt with Delpit because she explains the importance of how communication and the way rules and expectations are told to kids. Students need support from their teachers when their at school, just as much as they do when they are home.

No comments:

Post a Comment