Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Prompt 2 - Planning and Instruction *

Theorist Connection : Goldenberg

In the classroom I am tutoring in all of the kids speak Spanish as a first language, and on the info works website about my school it tells me that most of the students at Browne Elementary School are either African American or Hispanic. Therefore they are ELL (English Language Learners). Although I tutor in math, I still see the struggles for a few kids to speak the English language. My teacher, Mr. Smith pushes them to only use English words. One of the kids Carlos was reading a math problem and struggled with some of the English words. Mr. Smith refused to help him because he needed to learn how to read a little bit better. To me I believe that is the best thing he could have done, that way when the kids are struggling with words he can take time and let them figure it out. Carlos finished the problem he was reading and Mr. Smith told him he did a very good job.

When I am in the back with a couple of the kids helping them out with their math they tend to tell each other the answers in Spanish. I then remind them that I know exactly what they are saying and have them do different problems at the same time that way their are no issues. I also think that not only should Spanish speaking people and other languages should learn English fluently, but English people should learn at least Spanish fluently that way people aren't looked at like they are the odd ones out.

I connected this prompt with Goldenberg because in his article "Teaching English Language Learners", he talks about what is directly in his title. Goldenberg says in his article "Now, imagine that you don't speak English very well. Your job is to learn what everyone else is learning, plus learn English. And it's not sufficient to learn English so you can talk with your friends and teacher about classroom routines, what you are having for lunch, where you went over the weekend, or who was mean to whom on the playground. You have to learn what is called "academic English," a term that refers to more abstract, complex, and challenging language that will eventually permit you to participate successfully in mainstream classroom instruction." So basically you have a full time job at school and to have perfect behavior in my classroom. That is just too much. People should be able to learn in their own language and still know other primary languages so they can communicate with others. That does seem like a difficult job but I believe it should be done.

Some of the kids in the class always talk about certain events going on and what they have done with their families the weekend that just past. You can tell that they value their families and all of the different things that go on around their cities.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that it is good for the students to learn on their own but at times the teacher should step in when needed. It is good that the students are willing to help themselves but if they are doing a problem wrong, they may not understand to do it the proper way. I feel if teachers had a better understanding of the Spanish speaking language, then they would be able to better communicate with their students.

    ReplyDelete